Safeguarding adults at risk policy
(Last Reviewed 23 July 2020)
The abuse of vulnerable adults constitutes a clear infringement of their rights and freedom as citizens. This policy aims to protect vulnerable adults who attend the Forever Active programme from risk of abuse. As a service we are committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all members.
Aim of Policy
The aim of this policy is to safeguard accessing Forever Active classes and other activities organised by Forever Active.
This Policy is based on the following principles:
- All adults, regardless of age, ability or disability, gender, race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, marital or gender status have the right to be protected from abuse and poor practice and to participate in an enjoyable and safe environment.
- Forever Active will seek to ensure that its activities are inclusive and make reasonable adjustments for any physical, mental or cognitive impairment.
- The rights, dignity and worth of all adults will always be respected.
- We recognise that ability and disability can change over time, such that some adults may be additionally vulnerable to abuse, in particular those adults with care and support needs.
- We all have a shared responsibility to ensure the safety and well-being of all adults and will act appropriately and report concerns, whether these concerns arise within or outside Forever Active classes.
- All allegations against Forever Active personnel will be taken seriously and responded to quickly.
- Forever Active recognises the role and responsibilities of the statutory agencies in safeguarding adults and is committed to complying with the procedures of the local Safeguarding Adults Boards.
- All personal data will be processed in accordance with the requirements of applicable Data Protection legislation and Forever Active’s data protection policy.
Forever Active will:
- Promote the health and welfare of all adults accessing its classes and activities by providing opportunities for them to take part in all activities safely.
- Respect and promote the rights, wishes and feelings of all members.
- Adopt and implement appropriate Safeguarding Adults procedures.
- Recruit, train, support and supervise instructors to adopt best practice in relation to safeguarding adults at risk.
- Ensure that all instructors have a clear DBS check.
- Require instructors and members to adopt and abide by this Policy.
- Respond to any allegations of misconduct or abuse of vulnerable adults in line with this Policy as well as implementing, where appropriate, the relevant disciplinary and appeals procedures.
- Review and evaluate this Policy on an annual basis.
Roles and responsibilities of those within Forever Active
Forever Active is committed to having the following in place:
- An Adults at Risk Co-Ordinator to produce and disseminate guidance and resources to support the policy and related procedures.
- Clear procedures to be followed by instructors and others within the organisation in dealing with concerns about the safety and well-being of members.
- Arrangements to work effectively with other organisations to safeguard and promote the welfare of adults, including procedures as to the sharing of information.
This Policy and these Procedures will be regularly monitored and reviewed:
- In accordance with changes in legislation and Government guidance.
- Following any issues or concerns raised about the protection of vulnerable adults within Forever Active programmes.
- In all other circumstances, at least annually.
- If procedures in place become ineffective or inadequate.